Monday, September 21, 2009

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Right Speaker

Everyone has heard this song a million times. George Harrison's excellent White Album cut, While My Guitar Gently Weeps. It's been a radio staple ever since I can remember...

During the recording of the White Albumin 1968, tensions between the Beatles had been building, and Ringo had even walked out during the sessions. So to try and cut the tension a bit, Harrison invited Eric Clapton to sit in. He contributed the now famous solo part that gives While My Guitar Gently Weeps its eerie mood. And it was also the first time a famous outside player had played on a Beatles song.

Last week while listening to the White Album remaster on headphones, I did something different. I turned off the left speaker, which is where Clapton's part can be heard. What was left was acoustic guitar, drums, vocals and the coolest bass line. Now of course I had heard this bass part before, but without the 'distraction' of Clapton's solo, I was totally blown away by its chunky, funky tone, and was once again reminded how damn good McCartney is at playing the bass.

I used Garageband and iMovie to put this on YouTube - check it out and let me know if you think this is a cool as I do! It gets really good at about 45 seconds into it.

2 comments:

Donald Capone said...

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-wXZ5-Yxuc

Isorski said...

Wow, this is cool! Thanks, Don. God to see how they turned four tracks into nine... Love that crunchy tone on track B!