Thursday, August 12, 2010

Rush and Tom Petty Classic Album Releases

I posted about this a while ago, but I think the Eagle Vision Classic Album series is one of the best music-related shows out there. They spend an hour or more picking apart classic albums from bands from U2 to Floyd to Cream, interviewing the band, producers, engineers, managers, hell the dude who swept out the studio...

Just watch the DVD on The Band's first two albums. They are able to interview Rick Danko before he passed, and the breaking down of the music by isolating tracks in the studio is breathtaking. Same with The Who's Who's Next album.

These DVDs are top notch and I am so stoked that there are two new ones out this year that I will watch more than a few times. The first I already posted about is Rush 2112 and Moving Pictures. This one will be out next month and it looks like one DVD covers both albums, so I hope it's extra long.

The other one I just found out about today, and it's Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Damn the Torpedoes. It is available right now.

Below are trailers for the DVDs I just mentioned. Rumor has it that they would like to do The Wall. Actually, the bottom of this article talks about what it takes to put these out and some of the artists they are thinking about. It's an interesting read.

Damn The Torpedoes:


2112/Moving Pictures:


Who's Next:


The Band:

2 comments:

Chris said...

That Petty documentary looks great. That particular album was one of the first records I bought with my own money that kind of blew my mind because it wasn't what I would normally listen to, but I loved it. Still do.

By the way, I'm listening to your A Fear of Flashing Light record again right now, Paul. It's great. I'm blown away by how good homemade stuff can sound in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. Great vocals, and some excellent lead guitar work in particular. I hope you are suitably proud of it -- I know I sure would be!

Isorski said...

Chris, thanks for the kind words! It is indeed amazing what technology can do (or what we can do with technology). For example, on the song Walkin, the bass player sent me his part from Ithaca New York - I had sent him an MP3 and he played along and gave me eight different takes to choose from. Certainly when it comes to arranging, etc, 20 years of farting around with a 4-track came in handy.

I know this is a long shot, but if you and the fam happen to be in Portland in early Sept, I am having a CD release gig on Friday 9/10 from 7 to 10 p.m.

My current challenge is figuring out how to play all of that stuff onstage. Luckily I have recruited some ringers who are going to do some of my guitar parts. I don't have the luxury of foot pedal triggered samples a la Rush!

Thanks again, man. Your comments are much appreciated.