Monday, December 14, 2009

Guitarist Steve Kimock Gets Some Love

Some of my fellow bloggers and I frequently lament the current state of the music biz and how all the good artists are either not getting their due or are from eras long gone by (or both).

Finally, CNN of all outlets is shining some light on one of the greatest unsung guitar players of the last 30 years - Steve Kimock.

Kimock has a jazz-meets-Jerry style that has always endeared him to the Deadheads but to me the standout is that his tone is insane. It's the cleanest, most pure guitar tone I have ever heard.

Back in the day, my band The Strangers (nothing to do with Merle Haggard's band) opened for Kimock's band Zero at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco. I enjoyed watching Kimock but I was really stoked that I met Pete Sears, who had played in Rod Stewart's bands in the 70s and was a key member of the Jefferson Starship.

That was a hell of a night.

But anyway, good for Kimock. Not that a CNN story is going to make all the difference to a guy's career, but if a few thousand people who have never heard of Kimock check him out, then that is a good thing.

The story is here, with this accompanying video:


Also, there are tons of YouTube videos of Kimock live but you'll get a good idea of his guitar tone from this one:

2 comments:

VoxMoose said...

Can you suggest any specific solid albums of his to get me started?

Isorski said...

VoxMoose, I have no idea where to begin. I don't really have any of his stuff. I just know him from seeing him live a lot.