Friday, March 16, 2007

Levon Helm - Still Full of Piss and Vinegar

By most accounts, The Band's drummer Levon Helm has always been a Southern Boy loaded with hospitality, graciousness and humility. Until you piss him off. The dude has been holding a grudge against Robbie Robertson since 1976, and probably with good reason, as Robbie single handedly broke up The Band against everyone else's wishes. Anyway, good to know age has not mellowed out old Levon. Seems he is suing a New York ad agency for using The Band's song "The Weight" without permission for a Cingular ad.

Now this quote is all Levon: "It was just a complete, damn sellout of The Band - it's reputation, its music. Just as much disrespect as you could pour on Richard and Rick's tombstones..." (Richard Manuel, vocalist and piano player for The Band, died in 1986. Rick Danko, who played bass, died in 1999).

Classic. You tell 'em, Levon!

5 comments:

neddrum said...

Who has writing credits on The Weight?

Isorski said...

Well, I thought Robertson bilked them all out of their publishing royalties in the 70s. But mechanicals, which are paid when a song is aired or performed (right?) are different and I bet he still has a share of those. Not sure though. I am totally speculating.

WeightStaff said...

Hey,

Really enjoyed your blog. Looks like your tastes run as diverse as mine. I got here searching on Levon. Anyone blogging about The Band is immediately ok in my book. If you get a chance, check out our music blog at 'theweightonline.com'.

Cheers.

Isorski said...

Hi WeightStaff - wow, I really dig your blog as well. It will be fun to go thru your older posts. I am adding you as link in my 'links' sections, as I think there is good syngery between our blogs.

WeightStaff said...

Appreciate the positive feeback and certainly am pleased that you decided to post our link. I've returned the favor and posted yours as well. Looking forward to reading future posts on your site.