Thursday, August 20, 2009

New KISS Song - Modern Day Delilah - My Take

KISS made its first single from the upcoming Sonic Boom album available as a streaming song on KissOnline today. My buddy also sent me an MP3 version he got somewhere, so I have listened to it a few times.

My take? I like it. I am not sure that I am eating the dog food that has been placed in front of us that 'this is a return to the 1970s KISS we know and love.' For me to buy into that, Ace and Peter would be in the band.

But the track rocks. It has a cool riff that sounds a little bit like Pearl Jam's Evenflow, and Paul Stanley throws in enough woo-yeah's and falsetto shriekings to make it sound legit. I actually thought it was great until the guitar solo.

Tommy Thayer currently occupies Ace's boots and he is the first guy to say that Ace influenced him as a guitar player long before he started working for the band in the late 80s. He has done a great job carrying the Ace torch, because...well, Ace doesn't want to do that anymore. Ace finally has a new album out and is clean and sober and...good for him.

But when Tommy's solo comes around in Modern Day Delilah, it's just...too much like a guy trying to sound like Ace. OK, I know that Thayer did many of Ace's solos on Psycho Circus, but since I am not really sure which ones, I can pretend they are all Ace. On Sonic Boom, we all know it's Thayer playing every lick.

Half of the solo is fairly original but the other half is right from the book of Ace circa Alive! and it just somehow makes me feel weird listening to it. Like I am cheating on Ace or something. Oh God I am such a tool.

Anyway, I am sure I will get used to the idea. Let me know what you think of the song. The album drops October 6 at WalMart and will be like the recent Journey CD, meaning it will be the 11 new songs, a second CD of re-recorded classics (if you want to know what I think about THAT, read this), and a short DVD of live stuff. For $12.

Here is the song. The solo is at 2:10...

4 comments:

budd said...

kinda cool. in tommys defense, i can see gene in the studio using the talk back mic saying " a little more like ace, tommy".

Chris said...

I'm so tempted to check it out, but I'm avoiding it to wait for the album. I'm sure I'll like it. I'm a little disappointed with the album cover, though. When I heard the Rock n' Roll Over dude was involved, I was stoked, but this one is kind of lame. Considering their long history, they really don't have THAT many awesome covers, now that I think about it.

Bar L. said...

I'll take a listen later....not in the mood for KISS right now. But always in the mood for kissing....

Anonymous said...

I'm not crazy about it, but it's growing on me. Hopefully the rest of the album will sell me.

Ace's solo stuff, on the other hand, is awesome.