Tuesday, February 12, 2008

And Now For Something Completely Different - The Oscars

OK, with The Grammys behind us, now is as good a time as any to put in a plug for the only Oscar nomination I am going to bother to track this year. I blogged twice about this before - the movie Once, and a live performance I saw by the two main actors, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova.

The song Falling Slowly from the movie Once is up for Best Original Song and they better win it, because, well, they deserve it! It is not only a great song but the scene of Hansard teaching Irglova how the song goes in the music store is one of the best parts of the movie.

And I also hear they will be performing the song at the ceremonies, which means they will probably win it. They never seem to have the artist perform at these shows if they are not going to win. Just a peanut gallery observation not based on any type of actual fact! Good luck to them on the 24th.

1 comment:

VoxMoose said...

Watching the Oscars is one my many irrational habits. I somehow know it is all glitz and bogostiy, but I watch it out of tradition. And I frequently really enjoy it, which I don't really understand because it grates harshly against my personality and psyche (but I'll just roll with it).

Regarding the performance of Falling Slowly: I'm sure it still has a solid chance, but the routine in recent years (I'm not sure if they are doing it this year) has been to have ALL the nominees for best song perform their tune. Remember, the Oscars are 15 hours long so they manage to fit it in somewhere.

Also, even if they were the only group performing you can be invited to perform your song and still lose to Jethro Tull (as Metallica discovered in '88 performing "One" -- notice the similarity to movie title "Once"). Glen and Marketa need to raise a practical question at this point: is Tull also a nominee this year? If so, they don't have a chance in hell no matter what :)