Wednesday, January 14, 2009

RIP Ricardo Montalban

Ricardo Montalban died today at age 88. When I was a kid, I for sure appreciated his suave nature on Fantasy Island. But I will best remember him for his role as Khan in one of the original Star Trek episodes and of course in the Star Trek 2 movie, where he has some classic lines such as:

"Let me introduce you to Ceti Alpha V's last remaining indigenous lifeform."

"I've done more than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to go on...hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me. As you left her. Marooned for all eternity in the center of a dead planet. Buried alive... Buried alive... Buried alive..."

"I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing around, I mean to deprive you of your life. But I wanted you to know who it was who had beaten you."

and of course...

"Revenge is a dish best served cold. It is very cold...in space."



KHAAAAAAAAAAN!

4 comments:

Donald Capone said...

R.I.P. Ricardo.

I remember him best from Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, when he switched babies in the circus. Anyone remember that?

Chris said...

Damn, I have not seen Conquest in ages. I need to watch that again.

I have this book of Mexican movie poster art from the 50s and 60s, and Ricardo is on a good percentage of them.

sue said...

The words 'buried alive' are always enough to put fear in my heart.

I just read today that George Washington requested that he not be buried until three days after his death because he feared being buried alive. I believe Chopin (not a rock star) had the same fear.

Anonymous said...

in retrospect, i think Dos Equis should have hired Ricardo Montalban to do a few ads for them as their "most interesting man in the world" (he has a Spanish accent too, which fits perfectly)